Safe Migration Campaign (SMC)
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) Sri Lanka has been conducting special information outreach campaigns popularly known as safe migration campaigns (SMC) to curb the irregular migration attempts of Sri Lankans through irregular channels. The campaign informs the benefits of safe and regular migration and the ill effects of irregular migration by targeting students, youth, government officials, community leaders, and communities prone to irregular migration through:
- Training of Trainer (ToT) sessions for government officials and community leaders
- Awareness raising sessions and activities for students, youth and vulnerable migrant communities
- Creative campaigns to disseminate the safe migration message via school debates, forum theatre programmes, folk theatre, puppetry, drawing competitions and wall painting
- Public events such as trade fairs, exhibitions and religious festivals in targeted locations
- Dissemination of safe migration knowledge to Sri Lankan communities through Information, Education and Communication (IEC) materials.